Licensed Student Counselor
Company: Nebraska State College System
Posted on: May 28, 2023
Licensed Student Counselor
Nature of Work
Provides professional counseling to students on academic and personal matters. Provides individual and group therapy and counseling. Responsible for vocational testing and assessment, program development and evaluation and outreach activities. Consults with academic departments and student affairs departments. May be involved in crisis prevention, or aiding with adjustment problems after a major life event. Maintains confidential records.
Examples of Work Performed
The Licensed Student Counselor provides individual counseling and coordinates retention programming to foster the academic persistence and success of Peru State College students. This position is responsible for providing vocational testing and assessment, program development/evaluation and outreach activities. Will consult with academic and student affairs departments. May be involved in crisis prevention or aiding with adjustment problems after a major life event. Will maintain confidential records. Will provide academic advisement/counseling to probationary students. Provides undeclared advising and works in collaboration with the career specialist for student exploration during the career planning process. The Licensed Student Counselor also provides prevention programming and intervention counseling, assessment, and collaboration to other agency for services to students with substance use issues. The Licensed Student Counselor will provide individualized intervention to address barriers to success and will serve as a member of the behavioral intervention (CARE Team) that helps support students struggling both in and out of the classroom.
1. Provide counseling services to help students address concerns of a personal, academic, and/or developmental nature
2. Monitor the contracts, enrollment, and academic progress of students on academic probation and coordinate probationary progress reporting by the faculty
3. Assist probationary and other at-risk students in identifying and addressing obstacles to their academic success
4. Help students adapt to the culture of academia, understand academic expectations, and navigate college policies and procedures
5. Assess student needs for academic support and refer to appropriate resources and/or personnel.
6. Provide prevention and intervention counseling for substance use.
7. Coordinate and implement drug and alcohol awareness programming
8. Coordinate and assess surveys for prevention, intervention, counseling, probation advising, trainings, and programming services.
9. Collaborate with stakeholders for career exploration for undeclared student advising.
10. Provide undeclared advising services to students.
11. Help students apply information obtained through career assessment and career exploration services to develop and pursue career and lifestyle goals
12. Serve on the Campus Assessment, Response, and Evaluation (CARE) Team
13. Other duties as assigned
Master's degree in counseling, psychology, social work, or related field and four years of experience. Mental health practitioner's license in Nebraska is required.
A thorough knowledge of counseling theory and practice and the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds is strongly preferred as well as the ability to perform on-demand situational assessment and crisis intervention, coordinate services with other campus constituencies, maintain appropriate professional boundaries and maintain confidentiality.
License and Certification Requirements
Nebraska mental health practitioner's license.
This position is exempt with regard to FLSA overtime. This position is covered by the NSCPA negotiated agreement.
Offers of employment will be conditional upon satisfactory results of a background check.
Competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Attractive and comprehensive benefit package. Minimum salary is $48,977 annually.
Number of Vacancies
Posting Detail Information
Desired Start Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Apply at www.peru.edu. Please submit the employment application, resume and a cover letter.
Peru State College's "Campus of a Thousand Oaks," an arboretum campus, is nestled in historic southeast Nebraska. The state's first college, Peru State offers a unique mix of innovative online and traditional classroom undergraduate and graduate programs, including online graduate degrees in education and organizational management. Member institution of the Nebraska State College System.
The Nebraska State Colleges are equal opportunity institutions and do not discriminate against any student, employee, or applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, religion, or age in employment and education opportunities. Each College has designated an individual to coordinate the Colleges' non-discrimination efforts to comply with regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies and practices may be directed to the Compliance Coordinators assigned at each College and identified on each College website.
This position is subject to Veterans Preference.
Keywords: Nebraska State College System, Lincoln , Licensed Student Counselor, Other , Lincoln, Nebraska
here to apply!