Nutrition & dining services technician iii - cook
Company: Bryan Health
Posted on: April 18, 2019
The Nutrition and Dining Services Technician III performs a variety
of ordering, inventory control, catering services, serving duties,
food production tasks, and retail operations.
PRINCIPAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently
demonstrates our core values.
* Uses NDS software to coordinate menu selections for patients and
to complete menu system process.
* *Prepares and assembles a variety of hot and cold food or
beverage items relevant to area of assignment; may operate cash
systems if assigned to coffee bar locations.
* *Prepares hot foods according to menu plans in quantities
specified; may prepare and serve grill menu items to order.
* *Assesses quality of ingredients or products prior to use;
accurately assembles ingredients in accordance with established
recipes and procedures for items required.
* *Practices appropriate preparation techniques, per State Health
Department requirements, to ensure safe handling and storage of
foods to prevent possible food borne illness and/or cross
contamination of cooked and uncooked foods.
* *Receives, stores and distributes food, supplies and equipment in
a timely manner; checks all orders for appropriateness; signs off
* *Rotates stock in accordance with department procedures; assists
in conducting physical inventory to support purchasing
* *Prepares and measure/weighs special food/formulas/nourishments
for patients on therapeutic diets; calculates and prepares tube
feedings; delivers nourishments and tube feedings to nursing units
at designated times.
* *Monitors patient tube feedings per physician orders.
* *Acts as primary liaison between Nursing Service and Nutrition
and Dining Services in receiving phone/computer orders and
expediting subsequent food service requirements; follows through on
all data entry requirements.
* *Serves as a lead worker/facilitator overseeing and checking
patient tray assembly for designated meals as assigned.
* Introduces new patients to department services by providing
information on meal service and menu selectins. Assists patients in
making menu selections according to diet prescription, special
cultural, religious or ethnic food preferences or requests. Offers
alternative menu choices to ensure optimal food preferences are met
within the guidelines of the diet prescription
* Works collaboratively and conveys relevant information to the
Clinical Dietitian and Dietetic Technician regarding nutrition
issues or concerns with patients; ensures confidentiality in
matters relating to patient/family.
* *Sets up/supplies service lines with food, utensils and related
service supplies; sets up/supplies vending operations with required
food/supplies as per diagrams/procedures; sets up/supplies
Physicians Lounge with required food/supplies as per
* Accurately and efficiently operates cash register on serving
line; accurately makes customer change and performs cash/receipt
* Sets up, serves, facilitates and cleans up catered functions and
* Serves customers in an efficient, courteous manner in retail,
physician and catering operations.
* Performs dish/pan/utensil washing and cleaning using manual or
automated methods as directed.
* Empties garbage and cleans/sanitizes garbage receptacles.
* Cleans up assigned work areas/equipment as per
directions/schedule; cleans assigned storage area floors.
* *Serves retail customers in an efficient, courteous manner.
* Assists in and accurately prepares food for cafeteria and/or
catering activities as assigned.
* Assures stocked levels of dining service related supplies in
* *Supports trayline operations as directed.
* Checks and updates diet orders via computer database.
* Delivers designated trays, supplies and/or nourishments to
patients or patient locations as scheduled.
* Safely operates equipment used within the assigned work area and
reports malfunctions/breakdowns of equipment to supervisors
* Understands chemical use related to the area of work and is aware
of SDS usage and precautions or how to access SDS information.
* Carries out cleaning assignments in a consistent and appropriate
manner; cleans assigned area floors.
* *Orients new staff members in specified areas of responsibility
and/or by position/ provides training in the use of equipment and
procedural details within the area of work assigned.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
(Essential Job functions are marked with an asterisk "*". Refer to
the Job Description Guide for the definition of essential and
non-essential job functions.) Attach Addendum for positions with
slightly different roles or work-specific differences as
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of therapeutic diets, formulas and nourishments used in
a hospital environment.
* Knowledge of clinical food service products and inventory
* Knowledge of food service preparation methods and practices.
* Knowledge of food nutrition, specialized diets and dietary
* Knowledge of computer hardware equipment and software
applications relevant to work functions.
* Ability to operate cash register and make appropriate change.
* Ability to perform standard clerical and accounting tasks
including data entry and cash reconciliation.
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
with all levels of personnel, medical staff, volunteer and
ancillary departments including diverse patient populations.
* Ability to interpret food production sheets and computer printout
* Ability to safely operate applicable kitchen and hospital
equipment (i.e. trayline assembly conveyor, mobile food equipment,
silverware washer, soiled tray conveyor, dish lowerators).
* Ability to perform work in a timely and efficient manner within
* Ability to operate a cash register and reconcile cash with
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or equivalency required. Food Handler's permit
required. Must be 18 years of age to legally operate required food
(Physical Requirements are based on federal criteria and assigned
by Human Resources upon review of the Principal Job Functions.)
(DOT)--Characterized as medium work requiring exertion of 20 to 50
pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force
frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force
constantly to move objects.
Requires walking or standing to a significant degree. Requires
manual dexterity to assemble, prepare, package, display and deliver
Bryan Health is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race,
religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, genetics,
marital, disability and/or veteran status. Bryan Health hires and
promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications
for the job to be filled.
Keywords: Bryan Health, Lincoln , Nutrition & dining services technician iii - cook, Hospitality & Tourism , Lincoln, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!