RN- Birth Assistant, PRN
Company: CHI Health Physician Network
Posted on: February 21, 2021
Your time at work should be fulfilling.
Rewarding. Inspiring. That's what you'll find when you join one of
our non-profit CHI facilities across the nation. You'll find
challenging, rewarding work every day alongside people who have as
much compassion as you. Join us and together we'll create
healthier, stronger communities. Imagine your career at
Job ResponsibilitiesThe Registered Nurse Birth Assistant functions
at each Birth to directly assist and under the supervision of the
Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) as the "second pair of hands" during
births and/or emergencies, cares for the family during labor and
immediately following the birth and during the postpartum period.
Maximizes safety in the laboring and birthing process and
satisfaction of the childbearing families. Functions as a vital
member of the healthcare team who contributes to the success the
practice by demonstrating customer/patient focus, effective
communication, professionalism, and teamwork. Utilizes the nursing
process to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate comprehensive care
provided to selected patient populations and their families.
Additional responsibilities for this health care role include:
- Orientation: Responsible for attendance at pre, during and post
birthing sessions. Perform general nursing care to patients by
following established standards and procedures. Provide patient
care based on practice guidelines, standards of care, and
federal/state laws and regulations
- Contact: Responsible to be available as needed, days, nights,
weekends and holidays and to keep reliable contact information,
both by cell phone and to keep the answering service and the CNM
informed as to how to be reached.
- Scheduling: Responsible for covering all shifts and holidays,
as needed and as scheduled monthly (at least one week prior to the
beginning of the month)
- Educational Programs: Participate in teaching the mandatory
early home care class. Conduct orientation sessions for prospective
clients. Educate patients and families about health status, health
maintenance, and management of acute and chronic conditions.
- Intrapartum Care: At the direction of the CNM: care for,
provide and support early labor and labor (i.e. fluids,
positioning, bath tub and sibling support.) Supplies and/or
equipment as needed to complete the set-up of the room for birth.
Monitoring of vital signs and fecal heart tones. Assist with
delivery, resuscitation, any third stage maternal emergencies, as
example: fundal massage, oxytoxic administration, IV therapy
preparation, contacting physician and/or ambulance, etc.
- Immediate Postpartum Care: Vital signs; ongoing assessment of
fundus and bleeding, assistance mother with comfort measure and
newborn with establishing breastfeeding; cord blood to lab courier,
- Postpartum Period till Discharge: Ongoing assessment of mother:
bleeding, voiding, fluids and eating, mothering adjustments and
physical needs. Ongoing assessment of newborn: respiratory status,
color, temperature, neurological status, feeding and activity.
- Discharge: Review early home-care instructions; assist family
in preparations for going home; schedule home visit and one-two
week office visit; accompany family to car; immediate terminal
cleaning and restocking of birth room - prior to leaving
- Ongoing Postpartum Follow-up: Daily and weekly phone calls;
repeat home visits as needed; consulting with CNM for any
- Office Hours: Perform venipuncture and non-stress tests; assist
clients with self-care, collection of specimens answering phones
and office-flow; and office hour's phone triage.
- Current/valid Registered Nurse license from the state licensing
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) or Advanced Care Life Support (ACLS)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- 1 year related experience general nursing is required,
preferably maternal/child nursing and/or experience in
Join us at Catholic Health Initiatives, and become a part of our
faith-based health system.Nebraskanurse
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Associated topics: asn, cardiothoracic, intensive care, intensive
care unit, maternal, mhb, nurse rn, psychiatric, staff nurse,
Keywords: CHI Health Physician Network, Lincoln , RN- Birth Assistant, PRN, Healthcare , Lincoln, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!