MENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN
Company: Bryan Health
Posted on: January 16, 2020
The Mental Health Technician acts as a paraprofessional member of
the interdisciplinary treatment team, assisting in the care and
treatment of psychiatric and/or chemically dependent patients.
Under supervision of the nurse or counselor, provides supportive
and behavioral direction as dictated by patient needs and treatment
* *Commits to the mission, vision, beliefs and consistently
demonstrates our core values.
* *Observes and monitors patient behavior; communicates patient
behavior patterns with other members of the treatment team.
* *Assists with the coordination of patient activities and
interacts with patients in order to maintain a therapeutic milieu;
adapts approach to patients as needed and appropriate for age of
patients served including children, adolescents, and adults.
* *Escorts and transports patients to designated areas for daily
activities; transports patients to off-campus therapeutic
activities using hospital vehicle as assigned.
* *Communicates pertinent patient information to the
interdisciplinary treatment team, through written and verbal
reports, in order to enhance treatment planning and describe
* Utilizes Trauma Informed Care principles.
* *Provides emotional support to patients by listening and
conveying appropriate information; answers patient and family
questions; refers therapy or medical questions to counselor or RN;
supports and provides patient direction in conjunction with the
patient's treatment plan.
* Transcribes Physician's orders.
* Serves as a role model for patient social interactions, grooming,
and appropriate behavior; models use of healthy coping skills.
* Facilitates or co-facilitates patient groups under direction of
RN, social worker, or counselor.
* Responds to unit emergencies; assists with management of patients
using therapeutic interventions; uses Directed Intervention
principles in responding to disruptive patient.
* *Assists staff nurse in performing patient care as directed
including obtaining and recording height and weight and blood
pressure, pulse, temperature, and respirations.
* Distributing meals and assisting patients with meals; bathing and
other ADL's; assists with ambulation, lifting, and positioning
patients according to policy and procedure; assists with
elimination needs including empties bedpans and urinals and takes
appropriate measurements for intake and output.
* *Provides close observation or one-to-one care, as directed by
the RN, to prevent patients from wandering or potential injury.
* Performs clerical duties including scheduling appointments,
receiving incoming phone calls and visitors, directing calls as
appropriate, copying and faxing information as directed, and
maintaining adequate supplies to meet unit needs.
* Performs tasks related to patient admission, dismissal and
transfer, including belongings search and labeling of patient
belongings; collection of specimens and transportation.
* Performs special observations (patients at risk for suicide,
falls, elopement, and aggression toward self and others) as
* Applies and monitors the use of patient restraints according to
* Maintains appropriate therapeutic relationships with patients;
maintains confidentiality of patient information.
* Documents, under the direction of the RN, in the patient medical
record attendance at all treatment activities and participation in
daily unit routines; descriptions of patient behavior;
communications related to patient care received from referral
sources, family members, and others; vital signs, I&O; entries
as appropriate on the interdisciplinary treatment plan and
treatment plan review sheets.
* Picks up from the Pharmacy and transports medications to the
unit, when requested; delivers medication (drugs or biologicals)
received on the unit, to the appropriate patient specific
medication drawer or medication room.
Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Sociology or related Human
Services field is required OR high school diploma or equivalency
required and must have a minimum of two (2) years' experience
working with behavioral health, two (2) years education in Human
Services field or a combination of work experience and education
with one (1) year of education substituting for one (1) year of
experience. Must be 21 years of age. Must complete annual criminal
background check and central registry check through child and adult
protective services. Basic Life Support (CPR) certification
required. Valid State of Nebraska driver's license required.
Verification and maintenance of responsible driving record per
facility standards required.
Bryan Health is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity
Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race,
religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability, genetics,
marital, disability and/or veteran status. Bryan Health hires and
promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications
for the job to be filled.
Keywords: Bryan Health, Lincoln , MENTAL HEALTH TECHNICIAN, Engineering , Lincoln, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!