Utility Billing Clerk
Company: City of Beatrice
Posted on: November 26, 2022
*Job Summary: *
Provide financial record keeping functions and perform skilled work
in billing, obtaining financial data, and maintaining accounting
records. Process invoices and payments, balance the cash drawer,
and complete bookkeeping duties involved in supporting the general
ledger. Perform general clerical and customer service duties.
Receives telephone calls and citizen visits concerning utility
billing or services and uses judgment in accordance with policies
and procedures to resolve issues.
*Essential Functions: *
1. Provide administrative, clerical, and customer assistance. Greet
customers, in person or by telephone, and respond to questions or
requests. Receive utility payments. Process incoming mail and
payments from overnight deposit box.
2. Balance cash drawers daily and prepare daily cash report.
Reconcile daily cash report and make the daily bank deposit.
3. Complete applications for new service. Prepare service orders
for special reads and disconnection of services. Create new utility
accounts and set up electronic customer records. Process and
maintain changes in customer names, addresses, account status, or
4. Review Meter Reader downloads. Check error messages to detect
abnormal metering information. Compare past consumption patterns to
determine need for rereading or investigation. Order rereading when
necessary and make necessary corrections for billing.
Utility Billing Clerk Page 1 of 4
5. Compile and run utility billing report. Print billing register,
check for errors and correct any errors that are found. Process,
print, and mail out utility bills.
6. Process and print refund checks on final bills.
7. Research accounts, current and past, regarding payment history.
Pursue collection of delinquent utility accounts, including mailing
of disconnect notices. Monitor payments. Set up orders to
disconnect services on disconnect date.
8. Responds to a variety of customer questions over the telephone
and in person and work to resolve issues by using judgment and
decision making skills in accordance with policies and
9. Bill customers for service orders.
10. Compile and run various reports for budget purposes.
11. Review and monitor customer accounts on the Utility Service
Budget Plan semi-annually.
12. May attend Board of Public Works meetings in regards to any
changes or issues concerning utility billing.
13. Operate Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Gmail, etc.
14. Operate basic office machines such as copy machine, computer,
calculator, fax machine, cash register, etc.
15. Keep confidential information confidential.
16. Serve on City phone bank and provide administrative support as
needed during Emergency
17. Work the days and hours necessary to perform all assigned
responsibilities and tasks. Must be available to communicate with
subordinates, supervisors, customers, vendors and any other persons
or organizations with whom interaction is required to accomplish
work and employer goals.
18. Punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance,
including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work
deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled
work breaks, where applicable.
19. Perform other work which is consistent with the essential
functions of the job.
*Education and Special License(s)/Certifications: *
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Associates Degree or additional courses in typing, bookkeeping,
data entry, and office procedures and practices or equivalent
One (1) year of previous experience performing billings and/or data
1. Effective oral and written communication skills.
2. Good listening skills.
3. Ability to perform basic math and accounting skills.
4. Ability to apply accounting and bookkeeping procedures.
5. Ability to work in office-cubical environment.
6. Organizational skills.
7. Analytical skills.
8. PC computer skills. (Windows-based word processing and
spreadsheet software skills).
9. Manual dexterity.
10. Ability to work in environment with constant interruptions.
11. Good typing and data entry skills.
13. Good customer/public relations.
14. Ability to work independently.
15. Working knowledge of word processing, email, and calendaring
computer software applications.
16. Excellent interpersonal skills.
17. Excellent grammar, punctuation, spelling, and proofreading
18. Ability to perform complex math and accounting skills.
*Mental Requirements: *
1. Ability to organize files and retrieve data effectively.
2. Ability to learn and understand PC software applications.
3. Alpha and numeric recognition.
4. Ability to prioritize work.
5. Logical reasoning.
7. Ability to carry out assignments through oral and written
9. Accounting principles.
10. Ability to compute basic math computations.
11. Ability to work on several projects at once.
12. Ability to work under distracting conditions.
13. Ability to read and comprehend City policies and ordinances,
State, and Federal laws and regulations.
14. Ability to train and guide others.
15. Ability to exhibit tact, diplomacy, and judgment when dealing
with co-workers, other City employees, and external contacts.
16. Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend possible
17. Ability to multi-task.
18. Ability to work under pressure.
*Physical Requirements: *
1. Ability to lift 20 pounds and transport 20 feet.
2. Ability to make and receive phone calls.
3. Visual stamina and acuity adequate to review alpha/numeric data
and spend long periods looking at computer screen.
4. Ability to operate basic office machines such as copy machine,
computer, calculator, fax machine, cash register, etc.
5. Hand and eye coordination adequate to input computer data and
operate various office equipment.
6. Ability to sit and be attentive for extended periods of
*Supervisory Responsibility (Direct and Indirect): *
This job description is intended to convey information essential to
understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level
of work performed for individuals with this job title. However,
this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of
all qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, or
working conditions associated with the position.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $16.71 - $24.46 per hour
* Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Beatrice, NE 68310: Reliably commute or planning to relocate
before starting work (Preferred)
* High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Work Location: One location%58047475%
Keywords: City of Beatrice, Lincoln , Utility Billing Clerk, Accounting, Auditing , Beatrice, Nebraska
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!